Slow Cooker Texas Pulled Pork is a mouthwatering and classic Texan barbecue dish that’s all about the rich, smoky flavor of tender pork. This recipe is perfect for when you want to savor that authentic barbecue taste without having to tend to a smoker or grill for hours on end. The slow cooker does the work for you, creating a delectable pulled pork that’s perfect for sandwiches, tacos, or serving with your favorite sides. Get ready to enjoy the deep, savory flavors of the Lone Star State in the comfort of your own home.
For the Rub:
3 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
Salt and black pepper to taste
For the Pulled Pork:
4-5 pounds boneless pork shoulder (also known as pork butt)
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon liquid smoke (optional, for added smoky flavor)
Buns or tortillas for serving
Coleslaw, pickles, and barbecue sauce for garnish (optional)
1. Prepare the Rub: In a small bowl, combine the paprika, brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper to create the rub. Set it aside.
2. Season the Pork: Place the pork shoulder on a clean surface and rub the spice mixture all over the meat, ensuring it’s well coated. You can do this the night before and refrigerate the pork for even more flavor, but it’s not necessary.
3. Assemble the Slow Cooker: Place the thinly sliced onions in the bottom of your slow cooker. Lay the seasoned pork shoulder on top of the onions.
4. Create the Cooking Liquid: In a separate bowl, whisk together the chicken or vegetable broth, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke (if using). Pour this mixture over the pork in the slow cooker.
5. Cook the Pulled Pork: Cover the slow cooker and cook on the low setting for 8-10 hours, or until the pork is tender and easily shreds with a fork.
6. Shred the Pork: Remove the cooked pork from the slow cooker and shred it using two forks. You can return the shredded meat to the slow cooker to soak up more of the delicious juices, if desired.
7. Serve: Serve the Slow Cooker Texas Pulled Pork on buns or tortillas with your choice of garnishes, such as coleslaw, pickles, and barbecue sauce. It’s a perfect filling for sandwiches, tacos, or even on its own with a side of baked beans or cornbread.
Slow Cooker Texas Pulled Pork is a classic Texan barbecue delight, and with this recipe, you can savor the smoky and savory flavors of Texas right in your own kitchen. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Texas Pulled Pork not only offers a delightful, smoky flavor but also several potential benefits:
Protein: Pork is a good source of protein, which is essential for muscle growth, repair, and overall body function.
Flavorful Spices: The spice rub used in this recipe contains ingredients like paprika and cumin, which may offer health benefits, including potential anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Low and Slow Cooking: The slow cooking method used in this recipe helps to break down tough muscle fibers in the pork, resulting in tender meat. It also allows the flavors to meld and develop over time.
Onion and Liquid Ingredients: Onions provide essential vitamins and minerals, and the liquid ingredients like apple cider vinegar and broth contribute to the overall flavor and nutrition of the dish.
Controlled Ingredients: When preparing this dish at home, you have control over the quality of ingredients and can reduce the use of additives, preservatives, and excessive sodium that may be found in some restaurant versions of similar dishes.
Versatility: Pulled pork is versatile and can be served in various ways, allowing you to customize it to your dietary preferences and create balanced, satisfying meals.
Convenience: Using a slow cooker simplifies the cooking process, making it easy to prepare a flavorful and hearty meal with minimal hands-on effort.
While Slow Cooker Texas Pulled Pork is a delicious and satisfying dish, remember to enjoy it in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Incorporate a variety of foods into your meals to ensure you’re getting a wide range of nutrients.